Thursday, July 14, 2011

Writing About Writing, Days 11 and 12

11. Who is your favorite character to write? Least favorite?

Speaking strictly of my own characters, I think Gabe is probably my favorite to write. He's sometimes extremely literal, so I have a lot of fun getting him confused by idioms and slang; for instance, he once looked at a sign that said WATCH YOUR HEAD and complained about how it was impossible to watch one's own head. His much more world-savvy companion, Sarah, rolls her eyes a lot.

Least favorite would have to be Sam Davies, Gabe's antagonist. He's very oily, very cold. He's plenty interesting, but he's hard to write because I dislike him so intensely. Fun fact: in my original outline for the story, he didn't exist. He only showed up when a friend of mine suggested that an antagonist might help the story to flow a bit better. I'm still not completely sure I agree in this instance, only because in my own opinion, the best-written parts are the interactions between Gabe and Sarah. But Sam is proving useful in his own way, and some of his conversations with Gabe are quite illuminating.


12. In what story did you feel you did the best job of worldbuilding? Any side-notes on it you’d like to share?

Well, I actually live in the world of Gabe and Sarah's story, so I can't claim to have done much world-building there. I do find world-building a bit difficult sometimes, because I'm not good at mapping and my spatial understanding can sometimes be a bit distorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo contest! Check it out! (These are mine.)