Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

The post that would normally go here on a Thursday is going to be deferred until either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

See, it's St. Patrick's Day. And I celebrate that.

I'm not Irish. (Well, maybe a tiny bit through one of my great-grandmothers, but not enough to give it much thought.) My husband, however, is - and looks it. We're talking 100% pure natural redhead, keep out of direct sunlight kind of Irish.

Due to a series of somewhat bizarre circumstances, our originally planned wedding date of October 7, 2000 had to be canceled. (Years later, when we buried my beloved grandfather on October 7th, I remembered this and was grateful for those bizarre circumstances.) So instead we got married on St. Patrick's Day in 2001.

As of about an hour ago, we have been married for exactly ten years. That's kind of a long time, these days. As my friend Kate said in her congratulatory email, "Ten years and you still like each other! That's quite an accomplishment!" And we do, that's the thing.

In a little while we'll be going out for our traditional St. Patrick's Day anniversary dinner -- at the Japanese steakhouse. This always gets people's eyebrows raised, but it's actually kind of logical. A few years ago, we attempted to go out to dinner for our anniversary, and pretty nearly every local restaurant was crammed with St. Patrick's Day partiers. On a whim, we tried the Japanese place, and lo, it was very nearly empty. Because after all, who eats Japanese food on the Irish holiday? So now we go every year.

I put it this way in my Facebook status: Ten years ago, I changed my name. I've done a lot of things that I regret, but that's one I've always known I got right.

So while I fully intend to do a normal blog post later on, right now I'm just relaxing in the company of my favorite person, reflecting on the fact that we've made it this far and, if we have anything to say about it, will keep on going. Check back with me tomorrow for a regular update about saving the world in weird ways; just for today, my world is going to be very small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo contest! Check it out! (These are mine.)