Monday, April 29, 2013

Clearing Off the Cobwebs

It's been a crazy few months.  If you're still here reading this thing, I'm very grateful.

I won't go into why I stopped updating.  It wasn't a conscious decision.  But the truth of the matter is that it's very, very easy to get into the habit of not doing something, even if doing that thing has been a habit for quite some time.  The more important thing is that I'm back, and I'm going to force myself to get back into the habit of saying something here.

If you're new to this blog, hi.  I'm Laura, and this is where I keep my brain.  At least, parts of it.  This blog wanders around a wide gamut of topics, ranging from actual things that happen in my own life to championing the causes of other people.  I don't know where we'll land on any given day, but I will do my best to make sure that it's always somewhere awesome.

So what have I been doing these last few months?  Well, not as much writing as I'd like to be able to say I've been doing; The Graystone Saga has suffered from the same sort of ennui as this blog.  But I'm going to revive that too.  I'm trying to establish a schedule for my different writing projects, and I think Tuesdays are going to partially committed to updating that story.  I'm proud of what there is of it, and I want to continue.

I can tell you that my non-web novel has been the subject of much sweat and hand-wringing, and I would estimate it's about halfway finished at this point, so I'm pleased with that.  I talk with the angel at random spare moments; he's very busy and I never know when he'll show up, so I'm not putting that particular project on a schedule.  Yes, I refer to working on that book as talking with the angel.  It makes sense in context.

I can also tell you that I've accepted a new 'job,' of sorts.  I still work for the wonderful Ten Thousand Villages, of course, but I'm also adding a new hat to my collection.  (Years ago I told a young friend that "I wear a lot of different hats and I have only one head.")  My old friend Anne, who was a refugee during World War II and has lived quite a colorful life, has asked me to accept the position of being her biographer.  I've known Anne since I was nineteen, when she was my boss at the Internal Revenue Service (yes really), and she's been a great supporter of me in my various projects, especially my writing.  In fact, when the non-web novel comes out, you will see that it's dedicated "For Anne, who has been waiting."  So I'm honored to have this chance to return the favor.  My Wednesday afternoons will henceforth be devoted to capturing her life story.

And on Mondays and Thursdays, I'll be back at this.  It's good - really good - to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo contest! Check it out! (These are mine.)