Thursday, November 17, 2011

Is the Phillie Phanatic considered Philabundant?

So one of my high school classmates (hi, Christine) recently contacted me on Facebook to alert me to the existence of Philabundance.  Very helpful, this, especially since I needed a blog topic!  No, seriously, I love being told about stuff like this, and only partly so I can pass the details on to my readers.

Philabundance assists people living in the Delaware Valley, which is a vaguely defined region in southeastern Pennsylvania, plus Delaware and part of New Jersey.  Nine counties benefit from the efforts of Philabundance, which provides for "low-income residents who are at risk of hunger and malnutrition, of which 23% are children and 16% are senior citizens."  They offer both direct services and also distribute the food through food banks and similar agencies.

For the 2011 holiday season, they've partnered with two big names - Dunkin' Donuts and 6 ABC News.  If you click on that link, you'll be taken to a schedule of all sorts of events, from supermarket collections to a Facebook promotion, all of which will help Philabundance.

But remember, the need for food isn't limited to the holiday season; it's an ongoing problem.  So you can pick any time of the year to get involved, be it with Philabundance or with a food program closer to where you live.  Donate money, or give of your time, or conduct a food drive of your own.  Or Philabundance offers other ways in which you can help, including hosting a donation button on your personal website and purchasing some of their fundraising merchandise.  These are great because you can do them no matter where you live!  Man, I love the power of the internet.

Speaking of which, I'm going to conclude this post by saying hello to all of the new readers I've acquired since I joined Tumblr and BloggersBase.  Thanks for stopping by!  And I hope you'll all drop by for Monday's post, which is going to be something a liiiiittle different.  (Hint:  I'm giving something away!  Something shiny!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo contest! Check it out! (These are mine.)