Monday, April 23, 2012

Hometown Celebrity!

No, not me.  (Maybe someday.)  Today I'm talking about "Blondie," the proprietess of Blondie's Cupcakes.

Blondie, whose real name is Rebecca, was a contender on last night's episode of Cupcake Wars on the Food Network.  Not only did her appearance on national television inform the world of the existence of the little town of Catasauqua, but she also taught anyone who was paying attention how to pronounce the darn thing.  (A friend of mine refers to the town as "Unpronounceable-is-that-really-a-word.")

This was especially exciting to me because I've known Becky for about half her life.  In high school she was the closest friend of my sister Lisa; she practically lived at our house sometimes, like an extra bonus sister we picked up along the way.  I still hug her whenever we meet.  She's bubbly and adorable and she looks pretty much exactly the same as she did twenty years ago when we were young teenagers.

Unfortunately (spoiler alert) she didn't win.  And of course, it bears mentioning that her food - especially her gourmet cupcakes - is fantastic.  I wish she could have made it all the way.  But she's getting all sorts of notice because of her appearance on the show, including blog mentions (and I don't just mean this one) and news articles and everything.  So it's going to really boost her business, and I couldn't be happier for her about that.  She's a superstar.

Congratulations, Becky!  We're all super proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo contest! Check it out! (These are mine.)